Time to fire up that grill
Hey y’all! The summer season has begun! The days are longer, the sun is brighter and occasionally you can smell a BBQ infused breeze making its way through the neighborhood. With the warm summer nights, its great to spend a few dinners eating outside. So, I thought it would be a cool idea to whip up some healthy summer recipes you can throw on that grill.
All recipes are best served with texas tea or fresh lemonade.
First, we have a spin on the classic burger – A Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger
- 2 lbs 93% ground beef
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (or more if you like it spicy)
- 8 slices fresh pineapple
- 8 whole wheat 100 calorie buns
- 8 lettuce leaves
For the pineapple teriyaki sauce:
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
Gently combine the ground beef with grated carrots, scallions, ginger, soy sauce and sriracha sauce. Form into 8 equal sized patties.
Mix soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic in small saucepan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15 to 18 minutes. Add cornstarch water mixture and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Heat the grill. When hot clean the grates and spray with oil. Place the patties on the grill and cook on high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until burgers are cooked to your liking. While the burgers are cooking, grill the pineapple slices for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
To serve, place a piece of lettuce on the bottom of each burger bun. Top with the cooked burger and 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce, then top with grilled pineapple.
This next recipe is a quick and easy side – Grilled Sweet Potato Nachos
- Make a tin foil tray by layering two pieces of tin foil and crumpling the top sheet. Spray with non stick cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium 400 – 450 Farenheit
- Place one layer of sweet potato waffle fries on aluminum foil & close lid
- Grill for 20 – 25 minutes of until sweet potato fries reach desired color and crispness – Turn once or twice during cook time
- Top with jalapeno slices, sour cream, barbecue sauce, chopped chives, and feta cheese
- Serve and enjoy! (Told ya it was easy)
Lemon Grilled Salmon Recipe
Cooking fish on the grill adds a great smokey, flavorful punch to the taste buds. As an alternative to heavy burgers and sausages which can be loaded with calories, salmon can also be placed on the grill and cooked to seafood perfection. If you aren’t already, I would recommend adding it to your diet as a frequent protein staple. It has amazing health benefits including being packed with vitamins D, B3, B12, Omega – 3 Fats, Biotin, Potassium, among others. Check out this delicious and light recipe, just right for summer:
- 1 salmon filet (1-1/2 lbs)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons finely hopped green onions
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 onion slices, separated into rings
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Sprinkle dill, lemon-pepper, salt if desired and garlic powder over salmon. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the brown sugar, broth, oil, soy sauce and green onions; add salmon. Seal bag and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once.
2. Drain and discard marinade. Grill salmon skin side down, over medium heat; arrange lemon and onion slices over the top. Cover and cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Make your grilled meal extra healthy by adding a crisp veggie on the side such as corn on the cob or asparagus. As a drink, don’t forget the lemonade or tea. Sit back, pat yourself on the back for your master cooking skills and soak in the summer night. Happy Grilling!